O June Jewelry Blog

A jewelry artist's blog about ideas, inspiration, techniques, and passion for making handmade jewelry.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Inspired by Margot Potter

Before I started making jewelry, scrapbooking was my favorite hobby. I had collected boxes full of scrapbook supplies. Then I read Margot Potter's Beyond the Bead. One of the projects in her book was making "faux-enameled" pendants out of chipboard. Of course, Ms. Potter's version was more elaborate than my version, but the concept is the same.

These two pendants shown here are my first attempt at making jewelry out of scrapbook embelishments. I had a few printed chipboard circles. With my amazing Crop-A-Dile (thanks Gina), I punched a hole for the jump ring. I added a self-adhesive acrylic flower emblishment. To hide the paper look, I painted the back of the circles using a metallic silver colored acrylic paint. Then I added one coat of dimensional adhesive on the back and two coats on the front. To top it off, I followed Margot Potter's example by adding some jump rings and bead dangles.

I listed these two pendants in my Etsy shop as PIF items and they sold the same day. I plan on making more chipboard pendants and selling them as PIF items on Etsy. These two pendants sold like hotcakes, so check my Etsy listings often if you want one!

I really enjoyed making these pendants. Margot Potter is my hero. If you haven't read her books, I think it's worth the trip to the book store or the public library. After reading Beyond the Bead, I find myself examining just about every object to see if it has jewelry possibilities. I hope Margot Potter and I will inspire you to make your own chipboard pendants and have a blast while doing it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Margot Potter said...

These look great! Thanks so much for the kind words. I got a Google Alert, followed it here and you made my day!

Craft on with your bad self,
Madge

 
At May 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Lisa Crone said...

What great pieces, nice job!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home